Beckman Papers – Box 2 – Social Services
1. Care Guidelines for Kids under 3: Letter to a Mrs. Payne about guidelines for groups wishing to establish care for children under the age of 3. Includes enclosed list of guidelines. Dated July 5, 1973.
2. Childcare Centers Licensing Difficulties: Typed outline of ‘Licensing Difficulties’ for establishing childcare facilities at Grandview Terrace. Dated September 7, 1972. Includes article titled “Lack of day-care centres for handicapped reported” from May 25. Talks about lack of daycare for all children and especially for the handicapped.
3. Citizen Participation In Social Services: Paper titled “Citizen Participation In Social Services” that discusses how and why citizens should participate in social programs. It also discusses the history of citizen participation. No Date.
4. Cottonwood Area, Coquitlam: Document written by Brian Fawcett titled “Cottonwood – Non-planning in Social Services” that laments the poor conditions of social services in the Cottonwood are of Coquitlam.
5. Daycare Notes: Handwritten notes on childcare and the setting up/details of various committees to deal with childcare, education and daycare.
6. Difficulties of Various Groups: Brief on the difficulties of interacting with city governments in the establishment of childcare facilities. Notes difficulties in getting information on regulations and by-laws and a lack of effective cooperation with the civil service.
7. Draft Social Services and Citizen Participation: Draft of short document titled “Social Services and Citizen Participation” that presents the findings of a committee on citizen participation in Social Services. This is only the introductory section. Findings not included. Dated 9-7-73.
8. False Creek Citizens Coalition: Agenda for first meeting of the False Creek Citizens Coalition with three items for discussion. Include proposes for low-cost housing. Dated May 1st, 1973.
9. Greater Vancouver Regional District Social Services Policy Committee – Meeting Minutes: The minutes of various meetings from the Greater Vancouver Regional District Social Services Policy Committee. Dated from April 26, 1973 to July 25, 1973. Includes various contact lists.
10. Greater Vancouver Regional District Social Services Policy Committee – Meeting Minutes: NOTE: these are the meeting minutes for June 28, 1973, NOT jun 26th. Contain minutes from the Greater Vancouver Regional District Social Services Policy Committee.
11. Greater Vancouver Regional District Social Services Policy Committee – Newsletter: Newsletter by the Greater Vancouver Regional District that announces the meeting times of various committees. Separated by category. Contains summaries of the committees. Dated July 16, 1973.
12. Greater Vancouver Regional District Social Services Policy Committee – Meeting Minutes: Greater Vancouver Regional District Policy Committees newsletter with summaries and meeting times for various committees. Dated Aug 22, 1973.
13. Greater Vancouver Regional District Report on Livability: Collection of documents related to the Greater Vancouver Regional District’s “Report on Livability” dated November 1972. Includes contact lists, maps, proposals and objectives and other items and newsletters.
14. Letters – community health and health services: Two letters concerning community healthcare and the availability of health services in Greater Vancouver. Comes with attached pamphlet. Dated July 12 and April 26 1973.
15. Report to the Downtown Community Health Society concerning membership: Report to the Downtown Community Health Society concerning conflicts of opinion in the citizen participation in the Downtown Community Health Society between setting up an efficient health system and a system with lots of citizen participation.
16. Social Services Policy Committee – Minutes: Minutes of a meeting by the Social Services Policy Committee. Topics include the establishment of strong community government. Dated August 14, 1973.
17. Social Services Policy Committee – Documents and reports: Documents by the Social Services Policy Committee (SSPC). Includes various reports on consumer/citizen participation as well as letters and meeting minutes. From around April/May 1973.
18. Who’s Who in Day Care: List distributed at Daycare Workshop at Centre for Continuing Education at UBC, May 18, 1973.
19. Why is Vancouver City preventing the Establishment of Community Residences for Ex-mental Patients?: “Chronology of Frustration and Bureaucratic Obstacles” between December 1971 and December 1972, MPA document.